Monday, March 22, 2010

What do you make of this?

Well, I could make a hat, or a brooch, or a Pterodactyl...

I tried to find a video clip for this quote from Airplane.
So if you don't know it, I'm sorry. and if you do, you're welcome.

I have been learning my way around the Viennese markets and grocery stores and am starting to get the hang of cooking in Metric. So, I decided while cleaning out my tiny refridgerator to put to use some items that we close to expiring...even though it was a Sunday and I couldn't go to the store (yeah, they kick it old school and shut down everything that isn't touristy).

And here is what me and my pal, AllRecipes.com came up with:
(you just type in what ingredients you have and it gives you some possible recipes)

I had Red Currant Jelly (my MIL bought it thinking it was Cherry Jelly)--

Dijon-Herb Pork Roast
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 (2 1/2 pound) boneless pork loin roast
1/2 cup red currant jelly
1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
cooking spray


Directions:
1. Mix rosemary, parsley and thyme. Cut small slits into surface of roast and stuff herb mixture into slits. Place in roasting pan. Roast at 325 degrees F for 1 hour.
2. Mix jelly, mustard, cornstarch and broth in saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Spoon about 1/4 cup broth mixture over roast. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and spray with cooking spray.
3. Roast 45 minutes or until done. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve with remaining broth mixture.

Okay here is where I had to get creative because of lack of ingredients:
I had pork chops instead of roast, so I just rubbed the spices I did have (rosemary and italian seasoning) on one side of the chop after salt and peppering. Poured the sauce over THAT (after making the sauce without cornstarch and very little broth-it really didn't need it in my opinion). sprinkled bread crumbs and put a few pats of butter on the top...why? CAUSE THEY DON'T SELL PAM HERE!!! It is outrageous I tell you!

Things they also don't have: brown sugar (you have to make your own, which I didn't know you could do, from regular sugar and molasses), vanilla extract (they have this stuff called vanilla zucker that is crystalized vanilla sugar), and measuring spoons!

But I was able to figure my way around this meal, which was good. Kdubs said it would be good over chicken too. I also have made banana bread and this next mysterious What-Do-You-Make-Of-This moment:

I had some sort of ready-made pie crust, cinnamon, sugar and butter...so I made cinnamon rolls-rugalach. I rolled out the dough, poured melted butter on it, sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar, rolled it back and cut into pinwheels. Now the dough was flaky and not dough when cooked...but add a little icing to it and it isn't bad!

So, this was my adventure in cooking this week.
***I have seem to have misplaced my spell check button on Blogger. So, please excuse my misspellings.

No comments: